Skip to content
Social Security Online
History Home This is an archival or historical document and may not reflect current policies or procedures

Social Security History

The Headquarters That Never Was- II

A postcard from the 1940s showing the would-be Social Security headquarters in Washington as it looked shortly after its construction.

postcard of Cohen building

back of postcard

Actually, the formal name of the building was the "Social Security Board Building." It was renamed in 1947 as the "Federal Security Building." Following the creation of the Department of Health, Education and Welfare (HEW) in 1953, the building was again renamed the "HEW North Building." When the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) replaced HEW in 1977, the building was renamed again as the "HHS North Building." Finally, on April 28, 1988 the building was renamed the "Wilbur J. Cohen Federal Building," in honor of the Social Security Board's first professional employee and the former Secretary of HEW, Wilbur Cohen.
 Link to U.S. Government portal Privacy Policy | Website Policies & Other Important Information | Site Map
Need Larger Text?