Social Security Benefit Payment Data
Benefit payments presented in the following technical reports do not
include payments for vocational rehabilitation services nor are the benefit
amounts reduced for reimbursements of unnegotiated checks.
- The benefit composition report includes benefits in current payment status.
For the OASI program, lump-sum death payments are made to certain eligible individuals.
- are before deduction of Medicare premiums,
- exclude retroactive payments for prior months of eligibility, and
- represent payable benefits at the middle of the prior month in the given month
and do not capture changes from that point in time until payments are made.
The difference between total benefits, any applicable lump-sum death payments, and the amounts
in current payment status is the amount of retroactive payments.
- The payment summary report includes the actual amounts paid to beneficiaries under
cyclical payment procedure by payment cycle. The report also
includes Medicare premiums that were deducted from benefits.
- The cyclical payment report provides more detail on the cyclical payments that
are available through the "payment summary" report. Specifically,
it provides a split of the cyclical payments by
payment method—paper checks versus direct deposit.