Social Security Programs Throughout the World: Asia and the Pacific, 2006

 

Lebanon

Exchange rate: US$1.00 equals 1,501 pounds.

Old Age, Disability, and Survivors

Regulatory Framework

First and current law: 1963.

Type of program: Social insurance system. Lump-sum benefits only.

Coverage

Employees in industry, commerce, and agriculture.

Exclusions: Temporary agricultural employees, all employees who opted in 1965 to continue with coverage under the labor code, and citizens of other countries not providing reciprocal coverage.

Special system for public-sector employees and teachers.

Source of Funds

Insured person: None.

Self-employed person: Not applicable.

Employer: 8.5% of payroll.

Government: None.

Qualifying Conditions

Old-age benefit: Payable from age 60 but is compulsory at age 64; at any age after 20 years of employment; at any age if a woman marries and leaves employment during the first year of marriage; if disabled (with at least 20 years of employment); or on death (with at least 6 years of employment).

Reduced benefit: A reduced benefit is paid at any age with between 5 and 19 years of employment if the insured is leaving employment permanently.

Employment must cease.

Disability benefit: Must have an assessed loss of at least 50% of normal working capacity.

Survivor benefit: The deceased was covered, or was previously covered, under the program.

Old-Age Benefits

A lump sum is paid equal to the final month's earnings (or average monthly earnings during the previous 12 months, if greater) times the number of years of service up to 20 years, plus 1.5 months' earnings per year of service beyond 20 years of service or age 64. (For benefit calculation purposes, the insured is credited with up to 20 years of coverage for service before 1963.)

Reduced benefit: A lump sum is paid equal to 50% of the benefit for 1 to 5 years of contributions; 65%, for 6 to 10 years; 75%, for 10 to 15 years; or 85%, for 15 to 20 years.

Permanent Disability Benefits

A lump sum is paid equal to the insured's last month's earnings times the number of years of service.

The minimum benefit is equal to 20 times the insured's last month's earnings.

Survivor Benefits

A lump sum is paid equal to the deceased's final month's earnings times the number of years of service.

The minimum benefit is equal to six times the deceased's final month's earnings.

Eligible survivors: The widow (or a widower aged 60 or older or disabled) receives 25% of the benefit; the remaining 75% is split equally among the deceased's children (no minimum or maximum age limit). If there are surviving parents (no minimum or maximum age limit), they receive 10%, with the remaining 90% going to the widow and children (split on the basis of 25% and 75% of the 90%, respectively). If there is no widow(er) and no children, 50% is paid to the parents and 50% to surviving brothers and sisters. If there are no surviving parents, their portion of the benefit is paid to surviving brothers.

Administrative Organization

Ministry of Labor provides general supervision and trusteeship.

National Social Security Fund, managed by a tripartite board and a director general, administers the program through its district offices.

Sickness and Maternity

Regulatory Framework

First and current law: 1963.

Type of program: Social insurance system. Cash and medical benefits.

Note: The program for sickness benefit has not been implemented.

Coverage

Employees in industry and commerce, certain categories of agricultural employees, and teachers.

Public-sector employees, university students, dock workers, and weekly and daily newspaper sellers are covered for medical benefits only.

Exclusions: Temporary agricultural employees and citizens of other countries without reciprocal agreements.

Voluntary coverage for workers previously covered by the mandatory system but without coverage in their present employment and self-employed persons.

Source of Funds

Insured person: 2% of earnings.

The maximum earnings for contribution purposes are 1,500,000 pounds.

Self-employed person: Voluntary contributions of 9% of earnings.

The maximum earnings for contribution purposes are 1,000,000 pounds (1,500,000 pounds for self-employed persons with employees).

Employer: 7% of payroll.

The maximum earnings for contribution purposes are 1,500,000 pounds.

Government: About 25% of the cost of benefits.

Qualifying Conditions

Cash sickness benefits: No benefits are provided.

Cash maternity benefits: Must have 3 months of coverage in the last 6 months.

Medical benefits: Must be currently covered.

Sickness and Maternity Benefits

Sickness benefit: No benefits are provided.

Maternity benefit: Information is not available.

Funeral grant: 150% of the minimum wage is paid. (The minimum wage is 300,000 pounds.)

Workers' Medical Benefits

The insured receives a partial cash refund for the cost of treatment from doctors (full refund for maternity care); service benefits are provided by hospitals under contract with, and paid directly by, the National Social Security Fund. Benefits include general and specialist care, hospitalization, maternity care, medicines, and laboratory services.

The insured is normally reimbursed by the fund for 80% of the cost of doctor's treatment (90% of the cost of hospital care and 100% of the cost of maternity care and kidney and cholesterol dialysis), according to the schedule in law.

The duration of benefits is 26 weeks; up to 52 weeks in special cases. For chronic illnesses, including heart disease and cancer, there is no limit to duration.

Dependents' Medical Benefits

The insured receives a partial cash refund for the cost of treatment for a dependent from doctors (full refund for maternity care); service benefits are provided by hospitals under contract with, and paid directly by, the National Social Security Fund. Benefits include general and specialist care, hospitalization, maternity care, medicines, and laboratory services.

The insured is normally reimbursed by the fund for 80% of the cost of doctor's treatment (90% of the cost of hospital care and 100% of the cost of maternity care and kidney and cholesterol dialysis) for a dependent, according to the schedule in law.

The duration of benefits is 26 weeks; up to 52 weeks in special cases. For chronic illnesses, including heart disease and cancer, there is no limit to duration.

Administrative Organization

Ministry of Labor provides general supervision and trusteeship.

National Social Security Fund administers the program.

Work Injury

Regulatory Framework

First and current law: 1943, with 1983 amendment.

Type of program: Employer-liability system, involving compulsory insurance with a private carrier.

Coverage

All wage earners covered by an employment contract.

Source of Funds

Insured person: None.

Self-employed person: Not applicable.

Employer: The total cost.

Earnings for contribution and benefit purposes are subject to a ceiling.

Government: None.

Qualifying Conditions

Work injury benefits: There is no minimum qualifying period.

Temporary Disability Benefits

75% of the covered worker's daily wage is paid from the day after the accident until full recovery, certification of permanent disability, or death.

Permanent Disability Benefits

If assessed as more than 50% disabled, the benefit is equal to 2/3 of earnings; if assessed as less than 50% disabled, the benefit is equal to half of the full permanent disability benefit.

If assessed as less than 30% disabled, a lump sum is paid equal to 3 years' earnings.

Partial disability: A percentage of the full benefit is paid according to the assessed loss of earning capacity.

Constant-attendance supplement: A set amount is paid according to the schedule in law.

Workers' Medical Benefits

Medical services are provided by hospitals under contract with, and paid directly by, the National Social Security Fund. Medical benefits include general and specialist care, hospitalization, medicines, laboratory services, and appliances.

There is no cost sharing for doctors' services.

Survivor Benefits

Survivor pension: A lump sum is paid equal to up to 500 days of the deceased's pay. For benefit calculation purposes, the deceased's pay includes only 1/4 of the amount exceeding the minimum wage and 1/8 of the amount exceeding twice the minimum wage.

Eligible survivors are the widow, an aged or disabled widower, children younger than age 16 (age 25 if a student or disabled), aged or disabled parents, and dependent brothers and sisters.

Funeral grant: 150% of the minimum wage is paid. (The minimum wage is 300,000 pounds.)

Administrative Organization

Ministry of Labor provides general supervision and trusteeship.

National Social Security Fund administers benefits.

Family Allowances

Regulatory Framework

First law: 1943.

Current law: 1963.

Type of program: Employment-related system.

Coverage

Employees and social insurance beneficiaries with a nonworking wife or with children.

Coverage extends to five children only.

Source of Funds

Insured person: None.

Self-employed person: Not applicable.

Employer: 6% of payroll.

The maximum earnings for contribution purposes are 1,500,000 pounds.

Government: None.

Qualifying Conditions

Family allowances: The child must be younger than age 18 (age 25 if a full-time student or an unmarried unemployed daughter; no limit if disabled). The wife must not be gainfully employed.

Family Allowance Benefits

Family allowances: The maximum monthly allowance is 75% of the minimum wage, including a lump sum of 60,000 pounds payable to the wife (20% of the minimum wage) and 33,000 pounds for each child (11% of the minimum wage for each of up to five children).

Administrative Organization

Ministry of Labor provides general supervision and trusteeship.

National Social Security Fund administers allowances.