Electronic Records Express is an initiative by Social Security and state Disability Determination Services (DDS) to offer electronic options for submitting health and school records related to disability claims.
When you receive a request for health or school records or other information about a person who has applied for Social Security disability benefits, you can choose the method of sending the information that works best for you:
- online to Social Security’s secure website; or
- by fax to your state DDS or to Social Security.
The records you send are automatically associated with the applicant’s unique disability claim folder.
- Send patient, client and student records at your convenience;
- Submit information directly to your state DDS or Social Security, helping to expedite the decision on your patient’s or student’s disability claim;
- Save copying and postage costs;
- Eliminate need for follow-up due to mail transit time; and
- Start reimbursement process sooner.
- Medical providers (including hospitals, clinics, doctors and health information managers);
- School professionals; and
- Third parties, such as attorneys and claimant representatives.
The Electronic Records Express options are online via Social Security's secure website or by fax.
Social Security's Secure Website - Individual Patient or Student Records: Allows you to transfer records online using your Internet connection.
Social Security's Secure Website - Multiple Patient or Student Records: Allows you to send batches of records online in a single operation using a scanner and your Internet connection.
Fax: Allows you to use your fax to send records anytime day or night.
All Electronic Records Express options are free of charge. In fact, you may save time and money by transmitting your records electronically.
In addition to the Electronic Records Express options, high volume operations can use Secure Bulk File Transfer. This option requires commercial software and is not free of charge. It allows you to transfer records in an automated machine-to-machine mode, with workflow management, monitoring and reporting features.
The website has restricted access. Only authorized users can access the secure website by using their assigned user ID and password. Also, data transmission is protected by employing 128-bit or higher secure socket layer (SSL) encryption, which is the industry encryption standard for providing network security.
Just call the Social Security Electronic Records Express Help Desk at