SSN Verification Results
On the SSN Verification Results web page, a table is displayed with the results for name and SSN verification requests submitted online. In addition, a tally is displayed showing the total number of:
- Records submitted,
- Deceased, and
The SSN submitted for verification matches SSA's records.
- A "blank" Verification Results field is a verified SSN.
For security reasons, if the record has a "blank" Verification Results field, the first five (5) positions of the SSN will be masked with an "X."
For security reasons, if the record has a verification code of 3 or 6, the first five (5) positions of the SSN will be masked with an "X."
The following is the list of failed verification codes.
- 1 – SSN not in file (never issued).
- 3 – Name matches; DOB does not match.
- 5 – Name does not match; DOB not checked.
- 6 – SSN did not verify; other reason.
Deceased (Per SSA Records)
The SSN submitted for verification matches SSA's records, but our records indicate that the individual is deceased.
Table of Contents
- SSNVS Handbook Home
- Contact Information
- What is SSNVS and BSO?
- System Requirements
- SSNVS/BSO Availability
- Access to SSNVS
- Logining into SSNVS
- Using SSNVS
- Submission File Format
- Returned File Format
- SSN Verification Results
- Status and Retrieval Options
- Status and Retrieval Results
- What To Do If An SSN Fails To Verify
- Logging Out
- SSNVS News
- Getting Help
- Employer Reporting Information
- Maintaining Your Registration Information
- Glossary of Terms
- Appendix A: Additional Verification Options