This page provides general information on the Plan to Achieve Self-Support or PASS. For more information, please go to the bottom of this page for more links about PASS.
What is a PASS?
- It is an SSI provision to help individuals with disabilities return to work.
How does a PASS help someone return to work?
- SSI eligibility and payment amount are based on income and resources (things of value that individual owns).
- PASS lets disabled individual set aside money and/or things he or she owns to pay for items or services needed to achieve a specific work goal.
How does PASS work?
- Applicant finds out what training, items or services needed to reach work goal.
- Can include supplies to start business, school expenses, equipment and tools, transportation and uniform requests.
- Applicant finds out how much these items and services will cost.
- PASS can help person save to pay these costs. PASS lets person set aside money for installment payments as well as a down payment for things like a vehicle, wheelchair or computer if needed to reach work goal.
How do you set up a PASS?
- Decide on work goal and determining items and services necessary to achieve.
- Can get help in setting up plan from a vocational rehabilitation (VR) counselor; an organization that helps people with disabilities; Benefits Specialists or Protection and Advocacy organizations who have contracts with SSA; Employment Networks involved in the Ticket to Work program; the local Social Security office or anyone else willing to help him or her.
- Contact local SSA office; SSA work site or some third parties shown above to get a PASS form (SSA-545-BK) to complete.
- Bring or mail it to the Social Security office.
- SSA usually approves plans prepared by VR
- If goal is self-employment, there must also be a business plan
What happens to the PASS?
- SSA sends PASS to SSA employees who are trained to work with PASS.
- PASS expert works directly with the applicant. PASS expert looks over the plan to see if work goal is reasonable
- SSA reviews plan to make sure that items and services listed on PASS needed to achieve the work goal and reasonably priced.
- If changes needed, the PASS expert discusses with the applicant.
- If PASS not approved, can appeal the decision.